Friday, August 10, 2007

Absolutely Nothing

“It’s eight already.”

“Oh.”

“Aren’t we supposed to be in Portico’s by now?”

“Hmm.”

“What’s the matter?”

“It’s nice sitting here in a café. By ourselves. Do we really have to?”

“Yeah.”

“I suddenly don’t feel like going. I’m getting tired just thinking about it.”

“Got a text. Katz and Menands are there, waiting. Soon the rest are going to be there.”

“It’s going to be the same conversation…”

“We haven’t seen them in months, Sally.”

“But we email them all the time.” Sighs. It is the first of many.

“It’s not the same, okay.”

“You’re right. It’s not the same.”

There is a lull. “You’re still not getting up. Does this mean I have to convince you?”

“Tell me one thing, just one thing, that’ll make me want to get my ass over there.”

Sighs. Looks through the windows, then down at the pack of people in the park waiting, waiting. “I got it. And if this doesn't get you moving, I don’t know what. Wanna hear it?”

“Okay.”

Holds breath. Looks Sally in the eye. "Oliver."

Two seconds, Sally's up and running to Portico's.

No comments: